Monday, January 31, 2011

You are not a tourist

We are not tourists anymore. We are not French, though. We have to act as if we’re the culture but not  actually be French. Clearly, we are not worthy of such a title J I have had no problems with the French and love being here already. It’s been a long few days. We got in at 6 am and our hotel at 9 30. We met our program director at 11 and then just sat until our rooms were ready at 2. FUN.

If you've ever stuck your head outside of a car window you know what it's like to feel like the world's coming all at once towards you. That's how these past 2 days have felt. Instantly we're only speaking French. Everyone walks faster than my dad's jogging rate. Insane.

I'm currently at our hostel in Paris which is very nice. We're having our orientation week before we live with our host families. It's the typical linguistic tests, orientation of the school, and getting to know the subway. I've had my first crep :) So wonderful.

The best part has been my first real French meal tonight and my dessert. This is in honor of my father. Yes, dad that is real chocolate. Actually death by chocolate.

I'll have more to say tomorrow. Jetlag's kicking in. Wanted to let you all know I'm well and safe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment